[smartmontools-support] Reports Health Status OK? But No SMART Support Available?

Claudio Kuenzler napsty at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:45:48 CET 2022

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 7:36 AM Schorschi Decker <schorschi at dc.rr.com>
wrote:

> I asked the question... because nothing typically reported was reported.
> Not even status determined by attribute scan.  This is the first time I
> have ever seen SmartMonTools not report results in sufficient detail to be
> clear on how the result was achieved, hence the question.

Fair question. The smartctl output might look weird when you're used to ATA
devices and their SMART attributes. But if you've worked with SCSI disks a
while ago, this is kind of normal behaviour.
How exactly the Health of the drive is assessed, I can't tell you. But the
health status (mostly) works. See
https://www.claudiokuenzler.com/blog/411/check_smart-saves-server-lifes-defect-hard-drive-detected
for such a case. You can also see the "Elements in grown defect list" on
this article as these were all SCSI drives.

Moreover, the comment 'Never assume 100% accuracy on the reported data
> though' is what?  Is that a blanket disclaimer or a comment specific to IDE
> device status determination?

That is a general disclaimer :-). The data retrieved and shown by SMART
should be used as helpful indicator. But never fully rely on it. A disk not
indicating any errors in any attribute can still fail out of the blue.