[smartmontools-support] Reports Health Status OK? But No SMART Support Available?

Schorschi Decker schorschi at dc.rr.com
Thu Mar 17 14:22:13 CET 2022

Ah, cool.  Thanks for the clarification.

I have worked with SCSI based technology for most of my 30 year IT
career.  But, I had not used SmartMonTools until recently. Typical in
enterprise monitoring solutions, the hardware status (reporting) is
layered, filtered, or otherwise presented via vendor specific vendor
agents, SNMP, etc., so you don't usually get to the (raw) registers,
attributes or low-level state information.  After all, when you are
monitoring 100K servers world wide, and 1 disk in a RAID 5 configuration
goes from Green to Red, and the Hot Spare spins up,  for example, you
never worry about the specific cause (even if it is a false positive),
you just schedule the suspect drive for replacement, by local on-site
support, right?

I remember one situation years ago, where a recent disk firmware update
caused 10s of drives on 1000s servers, marked good drives, as in a
potential failure state, it was a software bug, that got through vendor
code QA/QC.  The chaos and confusion it caused, was frankly, nuts, and
vendor definitely had egg on face for that one!

-DD