[smartmontools-support] Regarding NVMe device monitoring

桃源老師 xanadu6291 at dream.jp
Fri Nov 18 16:15:58 CET 2022

Hello Christian-san,

> 2022/11/18 午前3:34、Christian Franke <Christian.Franke at t-online.de>のメール:
>
>> To confirm, I paste smartd's E-mail:

>> Device: /dev/disk0, failed to read NVMe SMART/Health Information
>
> Different: SMART/Health Information failed. smartd does not read the Error Information Log.
>
> Please check smartd syslog output for other error messages. The EMail is not sufficient for diagnostics.

First, I have confirmed that smartd outputs syslog, when something occurred.  On Macs, the log is /private/var/log/system.log.

Second, I have confirmed that NO syslog output from smartd, while the E-Mail regarding failed to read NVMe device SMART/Health information was sent.

The E-Mail would be sent when smartd was started via another program.  I mean that launchd, AppleScript, etc...

And the E-Mail NEVER sent when smartd was started via direct typing of command-line.  I mean that I use Terminal.app which is equivalent to command-prompt on Windows.

But the above is true only on macOS 13.x.  On prior macOS, like 11.x, 12.x, the mail would be sent. I have confirmed the above with 2 Macs and 3 version of macOS.

I'm now thinking that it might be a bug in macOS, how do you feel?

Best Regards,
Kimio Miyamura