[smartmontools-support] Regarding NVMe device monitoring

桃源老師 xanadu6291 at dream.jp
Sat Nov 19 06:32:56 CET 2022

Hello,

I have two thing which forgotten to include in this reply...

> 2022/11/19 午前0:15、桃源老師 <xanadu6291 at dream.jp>のメール:
>
> Hello Christian-san,
>
>> 2022/11/18 午前3:34、Christian Franke <Christian.Franke at t-online.de>のメール:
>>
>>> To confirm, I paste smartd's E-mail:

>>> Device: /dev/disk0, failed to read NVMe SMART/Health Information
>>
>> Different: SMART/Health Information failed. smartd does not read the Error Information Log.
>>
>> Please check smartd syslog output for other error messages. The EMail is not sufficient for diagnostics.
>
> First, I have confirmed that smartd outputs syslog, when something occurred.  On Macs, the log is /private/var/log/system.log.
>
> Second, I have confirmed that NO syslog output from smartd, while the E-Mail regarding failed to read NVMe device SMART/Health information was sent.
>
> The E-Mail would be sent when smartd was started via another program.  I mean that launchd, AppleScript, etc...
>
> And the E-Mail NEVER sent when smartd was started via direct typing of command-line.  I mean that I use Terminal.app which is equivalent to command-prompt on Windows.
>
> But the above is true only on macOS 13.x.  On prior macOS, like 11.x, 12.x, the mail would be sent. I have confirmed the above with 2 Macs and 3 version of macOS.
>

> I'm now thinking that it might be a bug in macOS, how do you feel?

1.The reason why I found out the behavior of smartd is debug mode.  On macOS 13, if I execute smartd debug mode with command-line, the E-mail never delivered. Of course, on macOS 11 and on macOS 12, the E-mail is delivered.

2.Once smartd is executed as "E-mail deliver state", the mail would deliver when re-reading smartd.conf, i.e. execute killall -HUP smartd.  This is same with any version (11, 12, 13) of macOS.

Best Regards,
Kimio Miyamura