[smartmontools-support] smartd crashes frequently on macOS 13 Ventura

桃源老師 xanadu6291 at dream.jp
Fri Nov 18 05:16:31 CET 2022

Hello Christian-san,

Thanks for reply.

> 2022/11/18 午前3:15、Christian Franke <Christian.Franke at t-online.de>のメール:
>
> 桃源老師 wrote:
>> I feel that the cause of the crash is that I used a locally built binary.
>> After replacing with the official binary, it does not crash even after 16 hours. I'm going to keep watching this for a while.
>>
>> This is a digression.
>> When I compared the official binary and the locally built binary, it was different from the file size. The official is 32bit/64bit fat binary, but even considering that, the file size of the locally built binary is abnormal.
>
> This is as expected if the locally built binary contains debug information. This is enabled by default if ./configure is run without 'CXXFLAGS=...' argument and the compiler accepts '-g' option.

I learnd exsamples from official build's version info.  And tried the following configure:

CXXFLAGS='-stdlib=libc++' ./configure --prefix=$HOME/Desktop --sysconfdir=$HOME/Desktop/etc --localstatedir=$HOME/Desktop/var --with-savestates --with-attributelog --with-nvme-devicescan

Note that $HOME/Desktop is for experimental purpose.

Then I get a bit bigger smartd binay.  But it still crash.

So I quit to build smartmontools from source by myself...

>> Another interesting thing is that the official accepts killall -HUP, but the local build does not.
>
> Then there is likely something wrong with the locally used toolchain or runtime library.

The reason is still in the dark cloud, but anyway, as above, I quit to build it from source....

Best Regards,
Kimio Miyamura