[smartmontools-support] smartd crashes frequently on macOS 13 Ventura

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Thu Nov 17 19:15:44 CET 2022

桃源老師 wrote:
> I feel that the cause of the crash is that I used a locally built binary.
> After replacing with the official binary, it does not crash even after 16 hours. I'm going to keep watching this for a while.
>
> This is a digression.
> When I compared the official binary and the locally built binary, it was different from the file size. The official is 32bit/64bit fat binary, but even considering that, the file size of the locally built binary is abnormal.

This is as expected if the locally built binary contains debug
information. This is enabled by default if ./configure is run without
'CXXFLAGS=...' argument and the compiler accepts '-g' option.

> Also, the configure option information included in the version information was different.

Cross compiling requires a bunch of ./configure parameters. All official
binaries were cross compiled under Linux using the same Docker image and
same build recipes as our CI builds.
See https://builds.smartmontools.org/

> Another interesting thing is that the official accepts killall -HUP, but the local build does not.

Then there is likely something wrong with the locally used toolchain or
runtime library.

Regards,
Christian