[smartmontools-support] Regarding NVMe device monitoring

桃源老師 xanadu6291 at dream.jp
Wed Nov 16 05:18:35 CET 2022

I have a question regarding smartd NVMe device monitoring.

The internal SSDs in Apple's Macs are NVMe devices. In response to this, I configured smartd.conf as follows:

/dev/disk0 -d nvme \ # Disk is NVMe
           -H \# Check NVMe device health
           -l error \ # Check NVMe error count
           -o on \ # Automatic test when smartd starts
           -m myE-Mail at gmail.com # Send E-Mail to this address

When smartd is started with this setting, I receive E-mail only the first time,

"Device: /dev/disk0, failed to read NVMe SMART/Health Information"

And as at the end of the email says:

"No additional messages about this problem will be sent."

As it says, I will not receive any emails after that.

This email is not received when smartd is started in debug mode (-d).

Does this mean that smartd fails to read every time, but no emails come, or does it only fail the first time? please let me know...

Best Regards,
Kimio Miyamura