[smartmontools-support] Regarding NVMe device monitoring

桃源老師 xanadu6291 at dream.jp
Thu Nov 17 15:41:06 CET 2022

Hello...

I tried the following  command:

smartctl -x /dev/disk0

And I get the following result:

roushinoMacBook-Pro-15:~ roushi$ smartctl -x /dev/disk0
smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [Darwin 22.1.0 x86_64] (sf-7.3-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Number:                       APPLE SSD AP0512M
Serial Number:                      C02830604UPJP7H1W
Firmware Version:                   1294
PCI Vendor/Subsystem ID:            0x106b
IEEE OUI Identifier:                0x000000
Controller ID:                      0
NVMe Version:                       <1.2
Number of Namespaces:               1
Local Time is:                      Thu Nov 17 23:04:13 2022 JST
Firmware Updates (0x02):            1 Slot
Optional Admin Commands (0x0004):   Frmw_DL
Optional NVM Commands (0x0004):     DS_Mngmt
Maximum Data Transfer Size:         256 Pages

Supported Power States
St Op     Max   Active     Idle   RL RT WL WT  Ent_Lat  Ex_Lat
 0 +     0.00W       -        -    0  0  0  0        0       0

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        33 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          99%
Percentage Used:                    5%
Data Units Read:                    304,967,834 [156 TB]
Data Units Written:                 100,134,688 [51.2 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 5,916,388,178
Host Write Commands:                1,562,439,519
Controller Busy Time:               0
Power Cycles:                       582
Power On Hours:                     2,313
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   194
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      0

Read 1 entries from Error Information Log failed: GetLogPage failed: system=0x38, sub=0x0, code=745

To confirm, I paste smartd's E-mail:

This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

  host name:  roushinoMacBook-Pro-15
  DNS domain: local

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/disk0, failed to read NVMe SMART/Health Information

Device info:
APPLE SSD AP0512M, S/N:C02830604UPJP7H1W, FW:1294, NSID:0

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional messages about this problem will be sent.

I suppose that smartd's E-Mail means end of smartctl -x result:

Read 1 entries from Error Information Log failed: GetLogPage failed: system=0x38, sub=0x0, code=745

And based on my Google search result regarding the above read failure, the phrase occurs many Mac's SSD, and no one mind it...

So, if my suppose is correct, me too ignore this E-Mail.  Could you confirm me?

Best Regards,
Kimio Miyamura