[smartmontools-support] SAS drives output

Claudio Kuenzler napsty at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:55:02 CEST 2022

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 12:44 AM Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk via
Smartmontools-support <smartmontools-support at listi.jpberlin.de> wrote:

> With SAS, however, its the amount of data available is a lot less [2].

Yep. SAS (SCSI) is not ATA, therefore these are different kind of drives.
The SMART table as you know it (with the attribute listing) is only present
in ATA drives.

> It's just strange - I would have thought SAS, being faster, better, more
> expensive et cetera et cetera ad infinitum, would also deliver the same
> amount of data over SMART or similar, but it doesn't look like that. Does
> SAS have an alternate method of reading this out or is the data actually
> omitted or concealed?

Understandable, but that's just it. I doubt there is any additional data in
the SAS drives which smartctl is not reading.