[smartmontools-support] Smartd forcing scheduled scans

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Wed Jun 8 17:24:21 CEST 2022

Anand Patel wrote:

> I am using smartd to monitor my disks in Ubuntu and have it configured
> to run a short scan daily at 2am and a long test 3am every Saturday
> morning:
>
> |/dev/sda -a -n standby -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03) -m
> name at mail.com <mailto:name at mail.com>|
>
> I understand that smartd periodically polls the disks (every 30mins?)
> causing them to wakeup if in stand by, hence I have added the|-n
> standby|flag in the above config. However, this also stops the
> scheduled scans from running if the disk is in standby.
>
> Is there a way to force the scheduled scans to start at the given
> times and wake the disks if needed, but stop the periodic polling form
> waking the disks ?

This is not possible at given times.

Please try '-n standby,47'. This should force a device check at least
once in 24 hours if the interval is 30min. A missed self-test will also
be started then. Be aware that a long test will be aborted if a disk
standby command is issued by the operating system.

Regards,
Christian