[smartmontools-support] Smartd forcing scheduled scans

Anand Patel anand at clubclimate.com
Wed Jun 8 11:27:12 CEST 2022

0
<https://unix.stackexchange.com/posts/705388/timeline>

I am using smartd to monitor my disks in Ubuntu and have it configured to
run a short scan daily at 2am and a long test 3am every Saturday morning:

/dev/sda -a -n standby -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03) -m
name at mail.com

I understand that smartd periodically polls the disks (every 30mins?)
causing them to wakeup if in stand by, hence I have added the -n standby flag
in the above config. However, this also stops the scheduled scans from
running if the disk is in standby.

Is there a way to force the scheduled scans to start at the given times and
wake the disks if needed, but stop the periodic polling form waking the
disks ?