[smartmontools-support] Strange SMART value with TOSHIBA drive through eSATA

Claudio Kuenzler napsty at gmail.com
Fri May 7 10:13:40 CEST 2021

In both cases, SMART report were saying my drive was "old" or "prefail".
> Is it normal? I thought it would either work or not, but not to get
> those strange values...

Where does the SMART report tell you that your drive was "old" or "prefail"?

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail
> Always       -       0

If you are referring to these kind of "Pre-fail" and "Old age" mentions,
these describes the "type" of the SMART attributes.
Nothing to do whether a drive is old or new.