[smartmontools-support] Strange SMART value with TOSHIBA drive through eSATA

Claudio Kuenzler napsty at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:52:38 CEST 2021

> Well when I read "old" and "pre-fail", doesn't it mean that the
> threshold value have been exceeded and so the disk has some issues??

No, you can take a look at the "raw" values (which are usually counters) to
find out if there are issues. The important attributes, which indicate a
failing drive, are all OK on your Toshiba drive.

> If not, such messages are confusing

To the human eye maybe, but the SMART table is (at best guess) supposed to
be read and parsed by a machine or script.
I highly recommend the Wikipedia page on SMART, it's a great read (even for
advanced users) and explains a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

cheers,
ck