[smartmontools-support] support SiliconMotion 3282 usb bridge

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Thu Mar 4 19:43:09 CET 2021

Please note: https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/SAT-with-UAS-Linux

> ID 8564:1000 Transcend Information, Inc. JetFlash
>
> Currently smartctl does not support this USB bridge:
>
>> smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-5.10.17]
>> Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org[http://www.smartmontools.org]
>>
>> /dev/sdb: Unknown USB bridge [0x8564:0x1000 (0x1100)]
>> Please specify device type with the -d option.
> ...and no choice of -d xyz works?

Which -d options were tested and did not work?
See: https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/USB
(Note that the device may use NVMe instead of ATA internally)

Possibly related (different idVendor: Silicon Motion, but same
idProduct: 0x1000 and bcdDevice: 0x1100):
https://www.smartmontools.org/ticket/1422

> However on Amazon a CrystalDiskInfo user on Win posted a screenshot
> where some SMART attributes are readable: 05 Reallocated Sector Count
> and 0C Power Cycles, and 5 additional vendor specific ones:
> https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51j2XHD1iIL._SL1600_.jpg[https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51j2XHD1iIL._SL1600_.jpg

There no Silicon Motion related code in latest CrystalDiskInfo source
code. It likely uses a pass-through protocol for another vendor. Should
be visible in its debug output.

> Are there plans to support this controller in Smartmontools?

No. I have no info about any SM3282 specific pass-through functionality.

Thanks,
Christian