[smartmontools-support] Avoid Repeated messages form smartd

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Tue Sep 10 13:04:09 CEST 2019

On 10/09/2019 09.19, Carsten Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,

> When I look at the smartclt output I can see the value also as RAW value, but the SMART count did not degrade
>
> ----------------------------
>
> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

>   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       2

>   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       16674

> 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       2

> 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       630

> My questions are:
>
> How serious is this error? The number of Offline_Uncorrectable seems to
> be stable right now.

Very serious.

> Why isn't the SMART value decreasing and still at 100? (I assume it is
> because the damage is still very small).

Because you have to repair them manually (630). The other value will
start to decrease when the raw passes some limit the manufacturer decides.

Remapping happens only when attempting to write a bad sector, so you
have to force the system to write to them. And there are a lot; there
are admins that will replace the disk with just one such ASAP. I don't
take such haste, but your disk is in pretty bad state.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)