[smartmontools-support] smartctl cciss segfault crash

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Fri Nov 22 21:39:16 CET 2019

Michal Hlavinka wrote:
>> That for the bug report and the detailed analysis. The small buffer
>> is inherited from the early days of CCISS support (2006).
>>
>> The attached quick hack patch should fix this. Not yet committed
>> because I could not test is with the real hardware.
>
> Previously it crashed +- once per five minutes, it's more than thirty
> hours now with no crash, so I think it's good.

Thanks for quick testing. Patch applied in r4976.

> I've checked it with coverity (static analysis tool) and patch did not
> cause any new complains. On a side note, do you use any static
> analysis tool?

Yes - reports from Cppcheck (for multiple platforms and configs) and
Clang Static Analyzer (for Linux x86_64) are part of our CI builds, see
https://builds.smartmontools.org/.
We also added LGTM recently, see
https://lgtm.com/projects/g/smartmontools/smartmontools.

> Would you be interested in full analysis output? I can send it to you.

Yes please - different tools have different coverage and "opinions".

Thanks,
Christian