[smartmontools-support] smartctl fails to read SMART data from one HDD in multi bay USBtoSATA enclosure

Menion menion at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:42:12 CET 2018

Hello Christian
Thanks for the reply
Yes I confirm that there is a port multiplexer behind it
What is exactly the port multiplexer I don't know.
Or actually: here
http://goughlui.com/2015/11/01/review-orico-usb-3-0-5-bay-raid-hdd-enclosure-9558ru3-part-1/
there is a review from 2015. They have disassembled it and they found
a JMB394 RAID port multiplexer and a JMS539B USB to SATA bridge
The mine is the same, exterior model, but I bought it on Jan 2018
lsusb inspection (as attached in the email) show it, from VID:PID, as
a JMS567 bridge with UASP. Ok, it won't be the first neither last time
when this chinese companies change even some critical component in a
product without even change the revision...., but it is something to
note
The interesting thing is that I bought another enclosure, still Orico,
but more recent, the NS500rc3, the VID:PID is identical, so apparently
it is a JMS567 bridge again, BUT does not report UASP capability AND
the SMART works in all the slots....
For sure the firmware is different, but I don't have idea what they
are doing with the internal components
I will try the tool and also I will drop some email do JMicron, let
see if I get more success
Bye