[smartmontools-support] Log failed: scsi error unsupported field

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Mon Aug 13 11:53:25 CEST 2018

Alex wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Seagate 5TB disk that was given to me because the original
> owner was having trouble with it and thought it was defective (it
> probably is). It's also listed as a "component" by Seagate so not
> covered under warranty.
>
> Before tossing it, I thought I would run some tests. I ran badblocks
> across the majority of the disk and it completed at least one pass
> without error. Is it even realistic to run badblocks across a 5TB disk?
>
> I also ran a smartctl long test and it appeared to complete
> successfully, but doesn't display the normal self-test log report at the
> end.
>
> Here is the results of a "smartctl -a" on the device. Can someone tell
> me the significance of the errors below?
> % smartctl -a /dev/sda
> smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-4.14.32-std522-amd64] (local
> build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Model Family:     Seagate Desktop HDD.15
> Device Model:     ST5000DM000-1FK178
> Serial Number:    W4J0TRCE
> LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 08ab777ea
> Firmware Version: ZZZZ

BTW: Interesting FW Version :-)

> Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi
> command
>
> Read SMART Selective Self-test Log failed: scsi error unsupported field
> in scsi command

This usually does not indicate disk problems. Either these logs are not
supported or this is a limitation of some software layer (e.g. SCSI ATA
Translation) between smartctl and disk. Did you connect this drive via
USB? If yes, which USB Id?

Note that "smartctl -a" does not print newer ATA logs . Try "smartctl -x".

Thanks,
Christian