[qutebrowser] Introduction to the Community

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Sun Apr 17 19:34:21 CEST 2016

Hey,

* Aditi Arora <aditiarora2896 at gmail.com> [2016-04-16 11:56:19 +0530]:
> I have chosen qutebrowser in the Rails Girls Summer of Code.
>
> To start with, I have already build the qutebrowser on system. I would like
> to get started with the beginer issues and start contributing in it.
>
> Could you please suggest me some easy issues to try with.

As Ryan already mentioned, some issues are marked as easy - that
doesn't guarantee they actually are, as sometimes you can only tell
after actually working on something. :)

One easy (and as some people told me already, surprisingly fun) way to
get started is writing some tests for existing code. Especially
end-to-end tests are really easy to write.

See https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/999 for an
overview of what's missing currently.

I plan to write some more documentation about how to write those tests
soon, but basically it involves writing some HTML/JS like this:
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/blob/master/tests/integration/data/prompt/notifications.html

And then writing some code to run that and check the right things are
happening using the Gherkin language:
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/blob/master/tests/integration/features/prompts.feature#L157-L204

An easy issue to start involving a bit of HTML/CSS too would be some
kind of webpage which shows the bookmarks of qutebrowser:

https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/1033

That'd involve getting the bookmarks via Python, generating a HTML via
jinja2 templating (http://jinja.pocoo.org/ - very similar to Django's
templates), and then maybe adding some Javascript for
sorting/filtering.

Some other easy issues:

https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/1395
(Make completion category font configurable)
I already added some comments about where to implement this to the
issue.

If you're on Windows, this should be easy to fix if you're familiar
with the basics of python exceptions:
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/1336
(SelectionUnsupportedError when yanking via hints on Windows)

Ability to toggle settings
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/47
The :set-toggle part of this is something often requested and probably
easy, but I just didn't get to it yet.

It involves adding a new :set-toggle command which can be called with
a qutebrowser setting and various values. It then checks what the
current value is, and takes the next value in the list you pass. For
example, if you run ":set-toggle colors statusbar white black" it'd
set it to black if it's white currently, and white if it's black.

There's also a contributor documentation which has some helpful hints
on how to run tests, and some other usefulinformation:
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.asciidoc

I hope this helps! If you get stuck somewhere, feel free to ask in IRC
or here again. :)

Florian