[qutebrowser] Rails Girls Summer of Code

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Sun Apr 17 18:53:02 CEST 2016

Hey,

As you might have noticed in IRC or here already, qutebrowser is
participating as a project in Rails Girls Summer of Code[1].

I'm always happy to get new people to contribute to qutebrowser and to
open-source in general. I think the way some maintainers of open
source projects are treating contributors is not how things should be,
and I'm trying to set a better example whenever possible. I can highly
recommend reading Kenneth Reitz' "Be Cordial or Be on Your Way"[2] on
this topic. :)

Some months ago I thought about signing up for Google Summer of
Code[3], but I realized qutebrowser was probably too small for that.

Then thanks to another Python developer[4] I learned about RGSoC and
that it's not all about Ruby on Rails, so I decided to sign up.

The sign up period for students has ended last week, and qutebrowser
got selected[5] as 1st choice project by one team, and second-choice
by four teams - since it's likely one of those teams will be selected
to participate, it's time to elaborate a bit more on what that means
for qutebrowser.

In July/August/September, a team of two people will work full-time on
qutebrowser, sponsored by various companies[6]. At least two persons
already started to contribute now, which is great! :)

They'll have dedicated coaches[7] local to them who can help with
issues coming up, and of course I'll also do my part by helping with
anything related to qutebrowser and setting things up correctly.

This is expected to take a few hours per week, so it shouldn't affect
the work I do on QtWebEngine financed via the crowdfunding[8] much.

I think this will be a great opportunity for qutebrowser to get some
additional contributions, and for the contributing team to collect new
experience and hopefully learn a lot :)

Florian

[1] http://railsgirlssummerofcode.org/
[2] http://www.kennethreitz.org/essays/be-cordial-or-be-on-your-way
[3] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[4] https://twitter.com/mitsuhiko/status/716313443016568834
[5] https://teams.railsgirlssummerofcode.org/projects/120-qutebrowser
[6] http://railsgirlssummerofcode.org/sponsors/
[7] http://railsgirlssummerofcode.org/guide/coaching/
[8] http://igg.me/at/qutebrowser

     I'm running a crowdfunding to work on my FOSS-project full-time:
                  http://igg.me/at/qutebrowser