[smartmontools-support] Odd statistic value, smartctl bug?

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Sun Apr 14 12:04:10 CEST 2024

egon at allmail.net wrote:
> I have a new KINGSTON SEDC400S37480G. All of the SMART attributes are normal including the uncorrectable error count (which is zero), but the corresponding device statistic value shows 160.  Looking at the database entries for this drive (https://github.com/linuxhw/EnterpriseDrive/tree/master/SSD/Kingston/SEDC400), all of these reports show a similar pattern, though the values appear to vary.

Only the SEDC400 drives return such values for "Number of Reported
Uncorrectable Errors" device statistics value, the other SEDC* series do
not. This suggest that this is a SEDC400 specific firmware bug: value
not initialized during production.

Please provide the output of this command for one of these devices:

smartctl -l gplog,0x4,4 -l devstat,0x4 /dev/...

--
Regards,
Christian