[smartmontools-support] SmartMonTools V7.4: WinXP support?

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Fri Aug 4 18:23:06 CEST 2023

Christian Franke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hubert Hau wrote:
>> I want to report that starting with SmartMonTools V7.3 r5490 32-bit
>> Executables (bin32\smartctl.exe etc.) do not run on WinXP 32-bit any
>> longer - error is:
>>
>> Kernel32.dll: GetTickCount64 not found
>>
>> => Last version which runs on WinXP 32-bit is V7.3 r5489.

>> Does this mean that SmartMonTools V7.4+ does not support WinXP (I
>> need this old OS due to some SW dependencies...)?
>
> Possibly.
>
> I'll check which module using this function is linked and why. Perhaps
> there is a workaround for this release.

The problem is that the GNU C++ exception support library uses pthreads
and the MinGW-w64 version of pthreads now uses GetTickCount64() instead
of GetTickCount(). Even a C++ "Hello World" program would need this
function if std::cout is used instead of C stdout.

I did a quick "x86-pre-vista" build using the Docker image with the
previous toolchains and uploaded it to our sourceforge project page.
This should run on XP (not tested).

Hope this helps,
Christian