[smartmontools-support] SmartMonTools V7.4: WinXP support?

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Thu Aug 3 23:24:40 CEST 2023

Hi,

Hubert Hau wrote:
> I want to report that starting with SmartMonTools V7.3 r5490 32-bit
> Executables (bin32\smartctl.exe etc.) do not run on WinXP 32-bit any
> longer - error is:
>
> Kernel32.dll: GetTickCount64 not found
>
> => Last version which runs on WinXP 32-bit is V7.3 r5489.

With r5490 we moved the Docker image used for CI and release builds from
older Ubuntu 18.04 to current Debian 12. This also updated the MinGW-w64
runtime to version 10 which likely introduced this problem.

> Seems that some library dependency is linked into the executable which
> is not available with this old OS.

Yes, there were some MinGW-w64 enhancements which use this function
internally.

> Does this mean that SmartMonTools V7.4+ does not support WinXP (I need
> this old OS due to some SW dependencies...)?

Possibly.

I'll check which module using this function is linked and why. Perhaps
there is a workaround for this release.

Regards,
Christian