[smartmontools-support] smartd crashes frequently on macOS 13 Ventura

桃源老師 xanadu6291 at dream.jp
Sun Nov 13 16:04:53 CET 2022

Hello Support,

I have serious issue regarding smartd running on my MacBook Pro 2018.
I'm running smartd from Nov. 6th, and faced 31 time crash. The crash report says:

[snip]

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000010365ba52
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x000000010365ba52

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process:   exc handler [98570]

[snip]

I build smartmontools from source. (Just ./configure)

I'm connecting 7 external devices and 1 internal device.

My smartd.conf is as follows:

/dev/disk0 -o on \                   # Automatic test when smartd starts
           -S on \                   # Auto save when smartd starts
           -n standby,q \            # Power mode
           -m xanadu6291 at gmail.com   # Send E-Mail to this address

DEVICESCAN -d removable \            # Disk is removable
           -o on \                   # Automatic test when smartd starts
           -S on \                   # Auto save when smartd starts
           -n standby,q \            # Power mode
           -m xanadu6291 at gmail.com   # Send E-Mail to this address

I can attach full crash report, if you wish...

Or is there any wrong with my configuration file?

Best Regards,
Kimio Miyamura