[smartmontools-support] missing log on device

Andriy Svirskyy andriy.svirskyy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:35:21 CET 2022

Hello,

I unable to see device logs from the recently executed tests. Initially
drive had log entry about single short test:

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(ho
urs)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without
error       00%     41052         -

Now I run new test: [sudo smartctl -t short /dev/sdb]

Immediately after that, polling the device [sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb]
I can see the progress:

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(ho
urs)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Self-test routine in progress
90%     41094         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without
error       00%     41052         -

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(ho
urs)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Self-test routine in progress
70%     41094         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without
error       00%     41052         -

But after some time checking the test outcome I see just the initial
historical test, with recent test result missing:

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(ho
urs)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without
error       00%     41052         -

The questions are:
- is this a device issue or I do something wrong?
- is it possible to check recent test outcome somewhere else?

Regards,
Andriy