[smartmontools-support] smartctl fails but badblocks succeeds

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 15:38:56 CEST 2022

Hi all,

I hoped I could reply to my question from some time ago with more info.
Here is a link to the output from smartctl for two drives I think are
failing. Would someone help me confirm?

The first one doesn't have all that many hours on it.

   1. Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Black
   2. Device Model: WDC WD1502FAEX-007BA0

   1. Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours)
   LBA_of_first_error
   2. # 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 80% 25420 556876652

https://pastebin.com/P2uvFxfa

I've also tried to run badblocks on the area around that bad sector, and
it's succeeded.

   1. Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Black
   2. Device Model: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
   3. Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours)
   LBA_of_first_error
   4. # 1 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 57452 642360

https://pastebin.com/PQUfS222

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex