[smartmontools-support] Where do I look to find the correlation between a physical disk and its /dev/sd# equivalent?

Claudio Kuenzler napsty at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 11:33:53 CEST 2022

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 11:16 AM Ed Trumbull <EdT at as2inc.com> wrote:

> Where do I look to find what /dev/sd## represents megaraid,32?

I'm not 100% certain if you are looking for the actual physical drive
(which drive in which slot) of megaraid,32 or something else.
If you are indeed looking for the physical location of the drive, you can
retrieve the drive's serial number from smartctl. In the following example
I'm doing this for drive megaraid,8:

smartctl -i -d megaraid,8 /dev/sda | grep -i serial
Serial number:        S40NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN4M

Now you can use the megacli command to list all physical drives: megacli
-PDList -Aall

Go through the output and look for the serial number in the "Inquiry Data"
line. Note: Sometimes the serial number might be cut by some characters.
This should show you the physical location of the drive in the "Slot
Number" line.

Not sure if this is what you've asked for though.