[smartmontools-support] Where do I look to find the correlation between a physical disk and its /dev/sd# equivalent?

Ed Trumbull EdT at as2inc.com
Thu Jul 7 14:05:56 CEST 2022

I have a server which is running CEPH on Debian.
Smartd reported an error on one of its seven disks:

[code]
The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/bus/0 [megaraid_disk_32] [SAT], ATA error count increased from 0 to 288

Device info:
ST8000NM000A-2KE101, S/N:WSD1D271, WWN:5-000c50-0c95f01f4, FW:SN03, 8.00 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.
[/code]

If I run smartctl -a -d megaraid,32 /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb, or /dev/sdc), I get lots of information about the physical disk managed by the megaraid.
Smartctl -a /dev/sda gives me the WWN that ceph recognizes for /dev/sda, but that does not match with the device info that smartd mails out.

Where do I look to find what /dev/sd## represents megaraid,32?

Apex Semiconductors (USA) Company Limited

This message contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. You should always check e-mail for viruses. Sender does not accept liability for any viruses that may be inadvertently transmitted.