[smartmontools-support] WD WD101EFBX drive has insane temperatures?

Franc Zabkar fzabkar at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 17 20:30:29 CEST 2022

The 512-byte SMART data block has an empty (?) byte immediately after
the flags byte. Is it possible that WD/HGST is using this byte to store
current normalised values larger than 255?

BTW, WD's warranty status checker confirms that this is a HGST model.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/warrantystatusweb

Serial Number        VCJ2P3WP

Model Number         WD101EFBX-68B0AN0

Description          WDVLA (Vela family?)
                      7200 RPM
                      256MB cache
                      SATA3, 6GB/s
                      10TB