[smartmontools-support] WD WD101EFBX drive has insane temperatures?

Franc Zabkar fzabkar at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 17 20:12:16 CEST 2022

I'm wondering whether the "4" is a case where the normalised value has
exceeded the limit of 256 and wrapped to 0. If so, then its actual value
would be 260.

Assuming this is the case, then the weird normalised temperatures start
to make sense if we interpret them as Fahrenheit rather than Celsius.
The raw values would still be reported in Celsius, though.

I say this because I was involved in a forum thread (I can't find it
now!) where a Hitachi drive reported similar weird values.
WD101EFBX-68B0AN0 is probably a rebadged HGST model with HGST firmware
architecture.

This was my reply in that other thread:

I think that Hitachi's Temperature attribute (0xC2) is calculated so
that a normalised value of 100 represents a baseline of 131 Fahrenheit.
Thereafter each drop in temperature by 1 degree F increases the
normalised value by 2. Higher numbers correspond to lower temperatures,
meaning that this attribute reflects the "health" of the drive.

200 -> 27.2C = 81F​
181 -> 32.5C = 90.5F​
136 -> 45C = 113F​
100 -> 55C = 131F​