[smartmontools-support] Compiling smartctl on Windows

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Thu Apr 28 20:01:35 CEST 2022

Eaton Zveare wrote:
> Oops! That sounds like the issue. Thanks.
>
> I think I am almost in a good state now. I ran into this error with an
> MSYS2 (no Visual Studio) build when running the binary on Windows 7:
> https://i.imgur.com/bu1o8RE.png
> Works fine on Windows 11. Is there something I am missing that needs
> to be specified for older OS versions?

The message "... CreateProcessAsUserA could not be located in ...
KERNEL32.dll" is correct, because it is in ADVAPI32.dll since at least XP.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/processthreadsapi/nf-processthreadsapi-createprocessasusera

This is a harmless issue in the MinGW-w64 toolchain. I reported this to
their mailing list.
https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/37646608/

Fortunately there is an easy workaround which could be added to the
smartmontools Makefile.am. I will commit this with the other mentioned
fixes.

Thanks,
Christian