[smartmontools-support] How to read NVME results

Claudio Kuenzler napsty at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:59:50 CEST 2022

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022, 19:07 Thane K. Sherrington <
thane at computerconnectionltd.com> wrote:

> Specifically these lines:
> Unsafe Shutdowns:                   102
> Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
> Error Information Log Entries:      80
> Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    63
> Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0
> Temperature Sensor 1:               59 Celsius
>
> I'm assuming "Unsafe Shutdowns" aren't a failure in and of themselves, but
> cause stress to the drive (hence, unsafe) is that right?
> Are "Media and Data Integrity" errors a bad failure (I don't have any on
> this drive, but for future reference)?  They sound bad.
> Are 80 "Error Information Log Entries" bad - is there a way to see these
> log entries?  Should I consider this the beginnings of problems?

I've asked myself the same questions back in 2019 when I added NVMe support
for the check_smart monitoring plugin (which uses smartctl).
See https://github.com/Napsty/check_smart/issues/32#issuecomment-499419649 .
Some of your questions might be answered there, but some attributes still
aren't very clear or understandable to me. ;-)

Unsafe shutdowns just seems to increase on every shutdown or reboot by the
way.