[smartmontools-support] How to read NVME results

Adam Piggott adam at proactiveservices.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 19:33:50 CEST 2022

On 28/04/2022 18:07, Thane K. Sherrington wrote:

> Are 80 "Error Information Log Entries" bad - is there a way to see these log entries?  Should I consider this the beginnings of problems?

I'm seeing these on almost every NVMe drive I service but have not yet one I've been able to get my hands on for a spell, to investigate. Since there's such a wide range of vendors, and many drives are brand new, I am running on the assumption that it's less alarming than it might seem. I did look into the NVMe spec with one device's specific error codes but...they were all vendor reserved!

> Is "Warning  Comp. Temperature Time" the number of minutes the drive has reached a warning temperature?  What is the warning temperature?
> Is "Critical Comp. Temperature Time" the number of minutes the drive has reached critical temperature?  What is critical temp?
> I see the drive is 59 Celsius - on mechanical drives, I always considered 40C to be hot, and 50C to be overheating.  What are the numbers for NVME SSDs?

Temperature thresholds will be device-specific and you should be able to find them if you dig into the spec sheets. Since there are no moving parts they can be more tolerant of higher temperatures. No spindles or heads to worry about!
--
Adam Piggott, Proprietor, Proactive Services (Computing)
https://www.proactiveservices.co.uk/