[smartmontools-support] Seagate Backup external USB drive (ID 0bc2:ac30 Seagate RSS LLC BUP Slim)

Nathan Stratton Treadway nathanst at ontko.com
Sun Apr 10 17:39:04 CEST 2022

On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:33:00 -0400, James wrote:
> On 2022-04-09 13:48, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> >What happen when you try "-d sat"?
> $  sudo smartctl -d sat -i /dev/sda
> smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [aarch64-linux-5.13.0-1024-raspi]
> (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi command
>
> A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or
> more '-T permissive' options.

Ah, sorry, I see that current versions of Smartmontools already default
all Seagate drives (vendor id of 0bc2) to using "-d sat" (so the first
test you mentioned, with no "-d", is actually equivalent to this one).

Anyway, I'm guessing you are affected by the "SAT with UAS under Linux"
issue; see
  https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/SAT-with-UAS-Linux

You didn't mention which distro you are running, but I think you should
be able to follow the instructions in the Temporary Settings section
(regardless of distro) to quickly test whether blacklisting UAS (i.e. using
the string "0x0bc2:0xac30:u") allows smartctl to access the SMART data
from the drive.

If you have a chance, it would be great if you could also try using the
drive with the UAS driver but with the NO_ATA_1X disabled (i.e. string
"0x0bc2:0xac30:" in the Temporary Settings instructions) -- but note
that the reason that flag is enabled by default is that some Seagate USB
bridges have errors or crash without it, so do your initial testing with
unimportant data....

Let us know what you find.

							Nathan