[smartmontools-support] Seagate Backup external USB drive (ID 0bc2:ac30 Seagate RSS LLC BUP Slim)

James bjlockie at lockie.ca
Sun Apr 10 00:33:00 CEST 2022

On 2022-04-09 13:48, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
>> I have a Seagate Backup external USB drive that I am trying to get
>> smartctl to work on.
>> ID 0bc2:ac30 Seagate RSS LLC BUP Slim
>>
>> I found this post from 2014 showing it working but I wouldn't be
>> surprised if it uses different parts now.
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/smartmontools/mailman/message/32888242/
> (That message was for USB ID 0bc2:ab21, so it's definitely a different
> "device".)
>
>> This starts to work:
>>
>> $ sudo smartctl -d scsi -i /dev/sda
> What happen when you try "-d sat"?
$  sudo smartctl -d sat -i /dev/sda
smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [aarch64-linux-5.13.0-1024-raspi] (local
build)
Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi command

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more
'-T permissive' options.