[smartmontools-support] Get SMART info from Seagate external drive when in spindown

Android_X13 Android_X13 at protonmail.com
Sat Sep 11 18:29:46 CEST 2021

I have a Seagate disk from which I'm trying to get SMART information with the following command from an elevated command prompt (Windows 10):

  smartctl -T verypermissive -A G:

If the drive is in spindown mode, the command prompt hangs for 1-2 minutes and then I get the following error:

  Read SMART Data failed: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT failed, Error=121

If I run again the above command, it hangs again for 1-2 minutes and I get the following error:

  Read Device Identity failed: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT failed, Error=121
  SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTITY DEVICE words 82-83 don't show if SMART supported.
  SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTITY DEVICE words 85-87 don't show if SMART is enabled.
                    Checking to be sure by trying SMART RETURN STATUS command.
  SMART support is: Unknown - Try option -s with argument 'on' to enable it. Read SMART Data failed: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT failed, Error=433

When the command completes the second time however, File Explorer opens up at the root of the drive, and I am then able to run the above command (for the third time) successfully.

What do I have to do in order to run the command successfully without all this hassle?