[smartmontools-support] disk not reallocating bad sectors

Franc Zabkar fzabkar at internode.on.net
Thu Oct 28 19:03:42 CEST 2021

My thoughts were to create a pseudo-uncorrectable sector and then run an
OS tool which scans the entire drive and forces the OS to update its bad
block map. I'm not familiar with Linux file systems, but I know that
NTFS has a $BADCLUS metafile. I believe this metafile would be updated
by CHKDSK or ScanDisk if any sector/cluster fails the surface scan.

This method wouldn't reallocate a bad sector, but it would prevent the
OS from using it. Or so I think ...

-Franc