[smartmontools-support] Converting Raw Values to Human-Readable Output

Richard Wright richwright.business at gmail.com
Tue May 4 01:03:56 CEST 2021

Hi Smartmontools Support,

First let me say thank you for all of the hard work you put into developing smartmontools! It’s an awesome utility! I have a question about some of the raw values that smartctl outputs, maybe you can help me.

In the attributes section, there is a column that lists the “Raw Values” and I wanted to know if there was a way to convert this into a more human-readable output, for example something like a percentage.

If you are familiar with the binaryfruit application, DriveDX, you’ll know how they show their SMART statistics in the same fashion, on a scale of 0 to 100%. This is the same idea of what I would like to do. Converting smartmon’s raw values to a percentage-like output.

Is there any way that I can do this with additional options? Or is there some documentation I can read that will better explain how to decipher these raw values?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Rich Wright