[smartmontools-support] support SiliconMotion 3282 usb bridge

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Sat Mar 20 13:59:27 CET 2021

Franz Volkovic wrote:
>> Please answer this question from my last mail:
>>
>>> Which -d options were tested and did not work?
>>> See: https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/USB[https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/USB]
>>> (Note that the device may use NVMe instead of ATA internally)
>
> via quirks downgraded to usb-storage
> smartctl -x /dev/sda -d ...
>
> ata - Read Device Identity failed: Invalid argument
> scsi - see last mail
> nvme - Read NVMe Identify Controller failed: NVME_IOCTL_ADMIN_CMD: Invalid argument
> sat - Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode
> usbcypress - Read Device Identity failed: Unknown error
> usbjmicron - failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode
> usbprolific - Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode
> usbsunplus - Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode
> sntjmicron - hangs... and then: Read NVMe Identify Controller failed: Invalid argument
> sntrealtek - Read NVMe Identify Controller failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode

No USB related types work.

> intelliprop,X - ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0xc0:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: 48-bit ATA commands not implemented
> cciss - Unknown device type 'cciss'

Only options listed at https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/USB make any
sense in the USB context.

> auto - Unknown USB bridge [0x8564:0x1000 (0x1100)]
> test - Unknown USB bridge [0x8564:0x1000 (0x1100)]
>

> ...does this help?

Smartctl does not support the (ATA or NVMe?) pass-through functionality
of this USB bridge.
Could be added if someone provides a specification or sample source code
for this SCSI command.

Thanks,
Christian