[smartmontools-support] Inconsistent long test times

Claudio Kuenzler napsty at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 11:44:52 CET 2021

> My first response from WD was:
>
> I really apologize for the delayed response. Upon discussing this case
> with the senior team, they wanted you to run diagnostics using data
> lifeguard software. If you still unhappy with the drives then we can get it
> replaced.
>

> However, after pointing out that I don’t have a Windows or Mac computer to
> test against and also that the question isn’t whether the drives are
> functioning properly, but *why* the SMART test times vary so wildly
> for drives having the same model-number, and if these test-time numbers are
> normal, the response I received was:
>
> Thank you for your continued response. We can only comment on the behalf
> of our tools and our tools (Windows data life guard diagnostics) only run
> on windows and we do not have any information about Solaris.

Yes, unfortunately this sucks as they always want you to use Windows for
diagnosis. Been there, too (
https://www.claudiokuenzler.com/blog/1021/western-digital-dashboard-software-broken-empty-black-display
).

But even I you would send diagnostics using Windows to WD, I doubt you'd
get a technical explanation why the test duration differs so much.

> That said, using `fio` to test the performance of the various drives, I
> found that both the WD20SPZX drives outperformed the ST2000LM015.  The
> results below only show the “write” test results because the ZFS L2ARC
> cache validates the “read” values.  Note that, in all cases, the ZFS pool
> contains just the single drive.

Great IOPS comparison, appreciate you sharing these.