[smartmontools-support] How to get status of currently running test/reaonsfor tests not being logged

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Mon Jul 26 19:40:53 CEST 2021

Yetoo Happy wrote:
> It seems I Interrupted (host reset) when trying to do short and long
> tests captive or not or so it seems. I try to do an extended offline
> test again, but there is not log entry displaying how much is remaining.

See 'Self-test execution status:' for current test. Log entries usually
appear after test completion.

> I want to see if an offline test I issue sudo smartctl -t offline
> /dev/sda, but once again there is no new log entry.

See 'Offline data collection status:' for current test. There are
usually no log entries for '-t offline' tests.

> The place where I am looking is the START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION
> using sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda.

Retry with 'smartctl -l xselftest' (not included in '-a' but in '-x')

Thanks,
Christian