[smartmontools-support] Compiled 7.2 from source, but smartctl fails?

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Wed Jul 7 13:13:57 CEST 2021

>     # smartctl
>     -bash: /usr/sbin/smartctl: No such file or directory
>
>     Per the documentation and actual location is /usr/local/sbin/smartctl.
>     So what the heck?

I don't have the initial message of the thread.

It is possible that you *had* /usr/sbin/smartctl, and your session still
remembers it. So, check to see what is there:

ls -l /usr/sbin/smartctl

and then perhaps try a new session. Probably just do "su -" in a new
terminal would suffice.

Also, verify what you have in /usr/local/sbin/:

ls -l /usr/local/sbin/smart*

Notice that even if your current directory is "/usr/local/sbin/", bash
will look at the path and ignore the current directory when told to
execute a program.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.