[smartmontools-support] smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p2 amd64]

Lyn Edmenson lyned at yandex.com
Tue Jan 26 20:06:28 CET 2021

Hi.

This tool is part of TrueNAS which I have installed for the first time.
I find it somewhat confusing to use compared with other SMART tools I
have used in the past and wonder if you could clarify some things please
which I think may need some attention.

"Please wait 107 seconds for test to complete. Test will complete after
Tue Jan 26 10:39:19 2021 PST"

The above statement appeared when I ran a manual test. It appears not
only to be incorrect but contradicts itself. In this case (and it
varies) it tells me to wait 107 seconds to complete and then goes on to
say it will complete on the previous day (I am running it on Wednesday)
about 3 hours from when I started it.

In this case my UEFI boot procedure is telling me I have SMART errors on
a brand new unused drive and I am trying to read what the problem is as
it is highly unusual. My experience of SMART tools generally is the
information is readily available and should be almost instantly
readable. So far I have not found a way to see any SMART information for
any drives on this NAS system and I'm not sure whether it's a TrueNAS
problem or a problem with your program but I am inclined to think
because of the confusing statement that's where the problem lies. I
don't really understand how long to wait and have no way of knowing when
it finishes. The first part of the message fluctuates and I have never
seen it say it will take longer than 2 minutes to complete but then it
goes on to say the test will finish about 3 hours later and it can be
the same day, but not in the example here.

Secondly it says at the end: "Use smartctl -X to abort test.". I'm
assuming it is a command to type but why don't you just have an ABORT
button unless CLOSE does the same thing? Can you advise please?

Regards

Lyn