[smartmontools-support] How do I interpret the errors of smartctl ?

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Fri Nov 27 13:35:54 CET 2020

On 27/11/2020 11.16, Sreyan Chakravarty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just ran a smartctl test on my laptop hard drive and I found these
> errors come up:
>

> Error 5 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1399 hours (58 days + 7 hours)
>   When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active
> or idle.

This is not an smartctl error, but a disk error that was written in the
disk log. smartctl simply reads that log and prints it for you to interpret.

And no, I have no idea how to interpret those disk firmware errors.

> How do I understand the seriousness of these errors ?
>
> Do I have to replace my hard drive ?

Based on that, I don't think so.

> The full report can be found here:
> https://pastebin.com/raw/qLBC8hNm <https://pastebin.com/raw/qLBC8hNm>

I look at this section "SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number"
and it is fine. And the disk is young.

But, I see this line:

No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

So, do run the short and long tests.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.