[smartmontools-support] Discrepancy in scsi_grown_defect_list JSON output?

Ryan Allgaier ryan at r-code.net
Thu Jun 18 02:07:08 CEST 2020

Hi,

I have a few SAS drives that unfortunately are reporting defects.  The
drives still consider themselves healthy, so they are still in service,
but are being monitored at an increased frequency.  I'm observing a
discrepancy in the JSON output vs the human readable output.

   Drive A:
      Elements in grown defect list: 1
      "scsi_grown_defect_list": 8,

   Drive B:
      Elements in grown defect list: 2
      "scsi_grown_defect_list": 16,

In the code, I observe the following:

   jout("Elements in grown defect list: %u\n\n", dl_len / div);
   jglb["scsi_grown_defect_list"] = dl_len;

I perceive this to be an oversight in the JSON output.  Is this correct
in that the JSON output is missing the division by div, or should I be
using other data within the JSON output to interpret this value
properly?

Thanks!

Ryan