[smartmontools-support] smartmontools-7.1 reports "logging not supported" while 7.0 works as expected

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Fri Aug 28 16:22:27 CEST 2020

Marcus Mülbüsch wrote:
> Hello all
>
> with smartmontools-7.0 everything was fine and I can read all the logs
> (note that I cut the information section; that remains unaffected by
> the behaviour)
>
>> # smartctl -d cciss,1 /dev/sda -x
>> smartctl 7.0 2018-12-30 r4883 [x86_64-linux-4.14.185-gentoo] (local
>> build)
>> Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
>> www.smartmontools.org
>>
>> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> <-- CUT -->
>> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
>> SMART Health Status: OK
>>
>> Current Drive Temperature:     26 C
>> Drive Trip Temperature:        65 C
>>
>> Manufactured in week 40 of year 2010
>> Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  50000
>> Accumulated start-stop cycles:  126
>> Elements in grown defect list: 0
>>
>> Error counter log:
> (logs follow)
>
> while with smartmontools 7.1 the same server with the same HD reports
> that logging is not supported and no temperatures are read:
>
>> # smartctl -d cciss,1 /dev/sda -x
>> smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [x86_64-linux-4.14.185-gentoo] (local
>> build)
>> Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
>> www.smartmontools.org
>>
>> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> <-- CUT -->
>> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
>> SMART Health Status: OK
>> Current Drive Temperature:     0 C
>> Drive Trip Temperature:        0 C
>>
>> Elements in grown defect list: 0
>>
>> Error Counter logging not supported
>>
>> Device does not support Self Test logging
>> Device does not support Background scan results logging
> (Output stops here)

Should be fixed in current SVN, see
https://www.smartmontools.org/ticket/1346
Source tarballs and various binaries are available at
https://builds.smartmontools.org/

> I updated the drivedeb, but there is no difference to the result. I
> tried with the old drivedb, but there still is no difference.

The drivedb is not used for SCSI/SAS or NVMe drives. It only affects ATA
SMART attribute output and enables firmware bug workarounds for a few
old drives.

Thanks,
Christian