[smartmontools-support] smartmontools-7.1 reports "logging not supported" while 7.0 works as expected

Marcus Mülbüsch m.muelbuesch at as-infodienste.de
Wed Aug 26 16:38:07 CEST 2020

Hello all

with smartmontools-7.0 everything was fine and I can read all the logs
(note that I cut the information section; that remains unaffected by the
behaviour)

> # smartctl -d cciss,1 /dev/sda -x
> smartctl 7.0 2018-12-30 r4883 [x86_64-linux-4.14.185-gentoo] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
<-- CUT -->
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Health Status: OK
>
> Current Drive Temperature:     26 C
> Drive Trip Temperature:        65 C
>
> Manufactured in week 40 of year 2010
> Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  50000
> Accumulated start-stop cycles:  126
> Elements in grown defect list: 0
>
> Error counter log:
(logs follow)

while with smartmontools 7.1 the same server with the same HD reports
that logging is not supported and no temperatures are read:

> # smartctl -d cciss,1 /dev/sda -x
> smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [x86_64-linux-4.14.185-gentoo] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
<-- CUT -->
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Health Status: OK
> Current Drive Temperature:     0 C
> Drive Trip Temperature:        0 C
>
> Elements in grown defect list: 0
>
> Error Counter logging not supported
>
> Device does not support Self Test logging
> Device does not support Background scan results logging
(Output stops here)

I just updated on gentoo and this behaviour seems strange. When I
downgrade to 7.0 everything works fine again.

I updated the drivedeb, but there is no difference to the result. I
tried with the old drivedb, but there still is no difference.

Servers are HP ProLiant G7 with "RAID bus controller: Hewlett-Packard
Company Smart Array G6 controllers (rev 01)", while HDs are "146GB
hot-plug dual-port SAS hard disk drive - 10,000 RPM, 6Gb/sec transfer
rate, 2.5-inch small form factor (SFF), Enterprise"; but the behaviour
does not depend on the HD used.

smartd is not affected and the csv written since the update do not
differ from those before. Especially the temperature *is* logged (and
seems correct)

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Marcus