[smartmontools-support] nvme 'Data Units Read' and 'Data Units Written' question.

Robert Fantini robertfantini at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 21:28:24 CEST 2019

So I've done some tests and research .
 Wrote a 1GB file, and the data units went up by about 2700.   Although I
do not know how the units are calculated , the writes are not under
reported.

The incredibly high write count  is not unusual for use cases like advanced
scientific testing [ nuclear testing simulations , cloud service providers
etc].

Even though 15.3 PB  have been written ,  the drives have a lot more life
left [ 175+ years at our rate of use] :
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/79620/intel-ssd-dc-p3700-series-2-0tb-1-2-height-pcie-3-0-20nm-mlc.html

                    Endurance Rating  Lifetime Writes      62 PBW (JEDEC
Workload), 17 DWPD

So we'll keep this drive.