[smartmontools-support] Incorrect bad drive report on Debian ARM dev board - Intel

Nathan Stratton Treadway nathanst at ontko.com
Fri Jul 26 20:56:17 CEST 2019

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 19:42:49 +0200, Christian Franke wrote:
> David Pottage wrote:
> >I have a brand new Intel D3-S4510 SDD. On my ARM dev board
> >smartctl report it as bad, and sometimes causes a kernel panic,
> >and then a bootloop. On my Ubuntu desktop (with an AMD64 CPU) it
> >is reported as fine.
>
> The latter is likely true, see below.

[...]
> These may SCSI errors suggest that the USB bridge only supports a
> small subset of ATA pass-through commands.
>
> Conclusion: This output does not indicate a problem with this SSD.
> It indicates a problem in the SAT (or vendor specific) pass-through
> functionality of the USB bridge.
>
> For further diagnostics, please provide the output of this command
> as an attachment:
> smartctl -r ioctl,2 -icAH /dev/sdb

David, are you using the same USB bridge when you connect this drive to
the Ubuntu desktop?

Christian, assuming he is, would that indicate the problem is likely to
be with some part of the particular Linux kernel image he is using on
his ARM dev board?  Would it be helpful to have the "smartctl -r" output
from the Ubuntu desktop box as well, in order to compare the two?

							Nathan