[smartmontools-support] smartmontools reponse as object instead of string

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Wed Feb 13 10:08:49 CET 2019

Hi

On 2/12/19 7:30 PM, Jose Alvarez via Smartmontools-support wrote:
> We are in the process of  evaluating smartmontools as a possible source
> of data of drive health. After running it on several text systems we
> have noticed that the response it produces is text based and can vary by
> vendors. We were wondering if there is a way to obtain the smartmontools
> data in a more structured format (json, xml, binary), rather than a text
> to be parsed.
The recently released version 7.0 has (experimental) JSON output, e.g.

smartctl --json=v -a /dev/sda

{
  "json_format_version": [
    1,
    0
  ],
  "smartctl": {
    "version": [
      7,
      0
    ],
[...]
}

Cheers

Carsten
--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics,
Callinstraße 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany